- Review of the advanced communications techniques forming the core of a 5G system: OFDMA and SC-FDMA multi-carrier techniques, and MIMO multi-antenna systems
- Descriptions of all the signals and elements of the processing chain for the uplink and downlink 5G NR physical channels
- Best practices and example workflows for using 5G Toolbox to generate waveforms and simulate end-to-end systems
Day 1 of 2
Motivation and Requirements for 5G
Objective: Receive an introduction to the 5G standard and its differences from the LTE standard. Understand general use cases and requirements for 5G.
- 5G use cases
- 5G requirements
- 5G deployment scenarios
OFDM Theory Review
Objective: Understand the basics of OFDM modulation, cyclic prefix insertion, and windowing.
- Motivation for multi-carrier vs single-carrier
- Introduction to OFDM
- Generation of OFDM symbols using the IFFT
- Cyclic prefix (guard interval)
- Windowing to reduce out of band emissions
- Advantages and disadvantages of OFDM
- SC-FDMA review
5G NR Waveforms
Objective: Learn about the resource grid and frame structure and numerology of 5G waveforms.
- Wireless Waveform Generator App
- 5G waveforms
- 5G frame structure: carriers and bandwidth parts
- 5G numerology: subcarrier spacing
5G MIMO Background
Objective: Understand different MIMO techniques, namely beamforming and spatial multiplexing. Learn about singular value decomposition as the solution to the generic MIMO problem.
- Spectral efficiency and capacity
- Spatial multiplexing
- Singular value decomposition
- Equalizing, predistortion, precoding, and combining
5G NR Data Channels
Objective: Understand basic processing elements for downlink and uplink transport and physical data channels. Learn about allocation, mapping types, and transform precoding.
- DL-SCH and PDSCH processing chains
- PDSCH allocation and mapping types
- UL-SCH and PUSCH processing chains
- Transform precoding and PUSCH mapping types
Day 2 of 2
5G NR Control Channels
Objective: Understand the structure and characteristics of downlink and uplink control channels, including DCI and UCI formats, PDCCH and PUCCH processing chains, CORESETs, search spaces, and scheduling requests.
- DCI formats and PDCCH processing chain
- Resource element groups and control channel elements
- CORESET structure and characteristics
- PDCCH mapping to CORESETs and search spaces
- UCI formats and PUCCH processing chain
- UCI usage and scheduling requests
5G NR Physical Signals
Objective: Learn about key 5G NR physical signals, including DM-RS, CSI-RS, and SRS. Understand DM-RS usage and available mapping types. Explore channel sounding using CSI-RS and SRS. Introduce geolocation using PRS and TDOA estimation.
- DM-RS usage and mapping types
- Signals for channel sounding: CSI-RS and SRS
- PRS and Positioning Support
5G NR Initial Acquisition Procedures
Objective: Understand the construction of 5G NR synchronization signals, BCH and PBCH processing chains, and SS block patterns. Learn about initial acquisition procedures including cell search, PBCH decoding including beam sweeping, and RACH.
- Synchronization signals: PSS and SSS
- BCH and PBCH processing chains
- Broadcast channel and master information block
- SS block patterns and bursts
- Cell search: PSS and SSS search
- PBCH decoding, including beam sweeping
5G NR Waveform Generation and System Simulation Using 5G Toolbox
Objective: Learn best practices and workflows for using 5G Toolbox. Understand how to generate 5G waveforms, set up spatial channel models, and send a signal through the channel. Explore receiver implementation issues and end-to-end performance metrics. Receive an introduction to various application-specific workflows.
- Overview of 5G Toolbox
- Interactive and programmatic 5G waveform generation
- Configuration of cluster delay line and tapped delay line wireless channel models
- Signal transmission through a noisy channel
- Receiver implementation, including synchronization and channel estimation
- End-to-end system performance metrics
- Overview of application-specific workflows