This three-day course provides a comprehensive introduction to the MATLAB® technical computing environment. No prior programming experience or knowledge of MATLAB is assumed. Themes of data analysis, visualization, modeling, and programming are explored throughout the course.
- Working with the MATLAB user interface
- Entering commands and creating variables
- Analyzing vectors and matrices
- Visualizing vector and matrix data
- Working with data files
- Working with data types
- Automating commands with scripts
- Writing programs with branching and loops
- Writing functions
Day 1 of 3
Working with the MATLAB User Interface
Objective: Become familiar with the main features of the MATLAB integrated design environment and its user interfaces. Get an overview of course themes.
- Reading data from files
- Saving and loading variables
- Plotting data
- Customizing plots
- Exporting graphics for use in other applications
Variables and Commands
Objective: Enter MATLAB commands, with an emphasis on creating variables, accessing and manipulating data in variables, and creating basic visualizations. Collect MATLAB commands into scripts for ease of reproduction and experimentation.
- Entering commands
- Creating numeric and character variables
- Making and annotating plots
- Getting help
- Creating and running live scripts
Analysis and Visualization with Vectors
Objective: Perform mathematical and statistical calculations with vectors. Use MATLAB syntax to perform calculations on whole data sets with a single command. Organize scripts into logical sections for development, maintenance, and publishing.
- Performing calculations with vectors
- Accessing and modifying values in vectors
- Formatting and sharing live scripts
Day 2 of 3
Analysis and Visualization with Matrices
Objective: Use matrices as mathematical objects or as collections of (vector) data. Understand the appropriate use of MATLAB syntax to distinguish between these applications.
- Creating and manipulating matrices
- Performing calculations with matrices
- Calculating statistics with matrix data
- Visualizing matrix data
Tables of Data
Objective: Import data as a MATLAB table. Work with data stored as a table.
- Storing data as a table
- Operating on tables
- Extracting data from tables
- Modifying tables
Conditional Data Selection
Objective: Extract and analyze subsets of data that satisfy given criteria.
- Logical operations and variables
- Finding and counting
- Logical indexing
Objective: Organize table data for analysis. Represent data using appropriate native MATLAB data types.
- Combining tables of data
- Table metadata
- Dates and durations
- Discrete categories
Day 3 of 3
Objective: Perform typical data analysis tasks in MATLAB, including importing data from files, preprocessing data, fitting a model to data, and creating a customized visualization of the model.
- Importing from spreadsheets and delimited text files
- Dealing with missing data
- Plotting functions
- Customizing plots
Increasing Automation with Programming Constructs
Objective: Create flexible code that can interact with the user, make decisions, and adapt to different situations.
- Programming constructs
- User interaction
- Decision branching
Increasing Automation with Functions
Objective: Increase automation by encapsulating modular tasks as user-defined functions. Understand how MATLAB resolves references to files and variables. Use MATLAB development tools to find and correct problems with code.
- Creating functions
- Calling functions
- Setting the MATLAB path
- Using breakpoints
- Creating and using structures
- Undergraduate-level mathematics and experience with basic computer operations
Duration: 3 days
Languages: Deutsch, English, Français, 日本語, 한국어, 中文