Neuroscientists use MATLAB® to process and analyze experimental data, drive experiments, and simulate models of brain circuits. With MATLAB, you can:
- Analyze neural time-series data from electrode signal recordings
- Understand structural and functional image data from neuroimaging and microscopy studies
- Use machine and deep learning to classify, predict, and cluster using models trained with neuroscience data
- Process and generate live data streams, including brain-computer interface (BCI) and behavioral control systems
“MATLAB is... a way of thinking, a language that cuts across countries, and a way of sharing and collaborating with other scientists…”Mike X. Cohen, "MATLAB for Brain and Cognitive Scientists"
Behind the Headlines
Scientific computing in neuroscience use MATLAB for :
- Neuroscientists use MATLAB to analyze structural, functional, and simulated neural data at all scales, from individual synapses to the whole brain.
- Experimental neuroscientists use MATLAB and Simulink to control experiments, including behavioral tasks, psychophysical data streams, and live control loops such as brain-computer interface (BCI) systems.
- Computational neuroscientists use MATLAB to simulate neurons and brain circuits, uncovering basic principles and helping to explain and design experiments.
Community and Third-Party Support
Neuroscientists using MATLAB can access a rich library of freely shared tools built by and for researchers. They can also tap a vibrant market of third-party products that complement MATLAB, including devices, instruments, application software, cloud platforms, and other research tools.
- Browse the File Exchange to find community toolboxes and apps designed for your neuroscience applications.
- Explore third-party products for neuroscience with professionally supported MATLAB integrations.
MATLAB enables neuroscience students, postdocs, and other early-career researchers to easily ramp up on data and coding skills for their coursework and research:
- Learn the basics of MATLAB with self-paced courses, getting-started documentation, and other resources.
- Explore neuroscience resources to get started quickly in your areas of study.
- Browse a library of neuroscience books that include MATLAB code and instruction.
Faculty and teaching assistants can further accelerate student learning using new tools and available resources:
Read About Real-World Use Cases
Explore how MATLAB is used for neuroscience applications.