# AutoSaveScripts (see GitHub readme for better formatting)
Matlab function to periodically save modified scripts (including unsaved `Untitled` scripts) to a backup directory (organized by date and Matlab instance).
Typical use case is to call this function from startup.m such that this runs in the background.
Matlab may close before there is an opportunity to save modified functions/scripts (e.g. `Untitled` scripts), e.g. OS restart or Matlab crash.
This script will check and back up all unsaved files/scripts in the Matlab editor, to prevent data loss in case Matlab closing before the opportunity to save. That said, the script's main purpose is to handle backing up unsaved `Untitled` scripts because Matlab does not currently save or back up these scripts.
## Code header
Backup unsaved scripts (including unsaved `Untitled` scripts) to a backup directory every `autoSaveRefresh_sec`.
Backup instance folders are created and auto-incremented to handle multiple opened matlabs.
### Backup directory location
Example backup directory (with defaults):
Example OS path: `userpath`/backup/2020-12-26/MatlabInstance3/
Example path using param names: `backupDir`/`backupSubDirFormat`/`backupInstanceDir` `number`/
### Params / Debug
- `autoSaveRefresh_sec` [default `500`] Refresh time in seconds.
- `backupOnlyUntitled` [default `false`] If true, _only_ unsaved `Untitled` scripts are backed up. Otherwise, all unsaved files are backed up.
- `debug.stopOnError` [default `false`] Stop (rethrow) if timer errors are encountered.
- `debug.keyboardOnError` [default `false`] Pause if timer errors are encountered (if true, will pause before the rethrowing the error).
- `debug.verbosePrints` [default `false`] Prints when creating the backup dir and saving backup scripts, see local function `DebugPrintf`.
Testing on MATLAB 2019b, Windows OS
- All paths should be OS agnostic.
- Uses `matlab.desktop.editor` commands to access the editor which may be MATLAB version dependent.
thosman (2022). AutoSaveScripts (https://github.com/tommyhosman/AutoSaveScripts/releases/tag/v0.1), GitHub. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!