This function can be used to interactively view any kind of 2D,3D and 4D image volumes like CT and MRI. Allowing segmentation and distance measurements or ROI selection in 2D slices.
It includes Maximum intensity projections (MIP), Volume Rendering (VR) , Slice render, and colored and Phong shaded Volume rendering.
Voxel opacity and color tables can be changed on the fly allowing also iso surface kind of renders.
The fast render algorithm which renders a 3D volume to a 2D image, is based on a Matlab coded implementation of the Shear-Warp transform, in which instead of rotating the viewer rays the slices are sheared.
There are two major Matlab files:
- viewer3d.m : The interactive GUI
- render.m : The function which renders volume data with the shear-warp transform to an 2D image.
Matlab Files (.mat)
Dicom Files ( .dcm , .dicom )
V3D Philips Scanner ( .v3d )
GIPL Guys Image Processing Lab ( .gipl )
HDR/IMG Analyze ( .hdr )
ISI Files ( .isi )
NifTi ( .nii )
RAW files ( .raw , .* )
VMP BrainVoyager ( .vmp )
XIF HDllab/ATL ultrasound ( .xif )
VTK Visualization Toolkit ( .vtk )
Insight Meta-Image ( .mha, .mhd )
Micro CT ( .vff )
This version is 100% Matlab code, but to make it faster if you run "compile c-code" in the config menu. I also included an older version with the shearwarp algorithm in c-code / mex-code
Please report bugs, successes and if you know some possible code speedups.
Dirk-Jan Kroon (2021). Viewer3D (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/21993-viewer3d), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
- Image Processing and Computer Vision > Image Processing Toolbox > 3-D Volumetric Image Processing >
- Industries > Medical Devices > DICOM Format >
- MATLAB > Graphics > 2-D and 3-D Plots > Surfaces, Volumes, and Polygons > Volume Visualization > Scalar Volume Data >
- MATLAB > Graphics > Images > Read, Write, and Modify Image >
- Sciences > Physics > Medical Physics >
- Engineering > Biomedical Engineering > Biomedical Imaging >
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!