Digital Image Processing Using MATLAB offers a balanced treatment of image processing fundamentals and the software principles used in their implementation. The book integrates material from the 4th edition of Digital Image Processing by Gonzalez and Woods, the leading textbook in the field, and Image Processing Toolbox. Image Processing Toolbox provides a stable, well-supported software environment for addressing a broad range of applications in digital image processing. A unique feature of the book is its emphasis on showing how to enhance these tools by developing new code. This is important in image processing, a field that generally requires extensive experimental work in order to arrive at suitable application solutions.
Highlights of the Third Edition
- This new edition is an extensive upgrade of the book.
- The mathematical notation is compatible with Digital Image Processing, 4th ed.
- The book is self-contained and written in textbook format, not as a manual.
- Over 200 new image processing and deep learning functions are developed.
- New to this edition are 130 Projects related to the material covered in the text. These projects enhance the usefulness of the book in formal classroom settings.
- New also is the DIPUM3E Support Package that contains selected project solutions, the code for all functions developed in the book, and the original digital images used in the book.
- In addition to revisions of the topics from the second edition, this edition includes extensive new coverage of image transforms, spectral color models, geometric transformations, clustering, superpixels, graph cuts, active contours (snakes and level sets), maximally-stable extremal regions, SURF, and other keypoint features.
- An entire chapter is devoted to deep learning, neural networks, and convolutional neural networks.
- As before, the book website is the central point for obtaining support materials that include the DIPUM3E Support Package, tutorials, additional image databases, and other complementary materials relevant to digital image processing. Extensive faculty support is also an important feature of the website.
MATLAB, Image Processing Toolbox and Deep Learning Toolbox are used throughout the text to solve numerous application examples. In addition, a supplemental set of MATLAB code files is available for download from the author's web site. Additional information on the history and content of the 3rd edition can also be found in this MathWorks blog post on the book.